The United Kingdom is a highly desirable study location for international students due to its top universities that provide a wide range of experiences and opportunities. But in order to pursue higher education in the UK, you must secure a student visa. With approximately 140,000 student visas granted in 2022. India has emerged as the nation that sends the most students to the UK. according to recent figures. This is four times more than the number of visas awarded in 2019 and shows an astounding 73% surge over 2021.
Most likely, the Graduate Route post-study work plan (GIR)—which is especially attractive to Indian students—is the main driver behind this move. To ensure a seamless trip and prevent any delays.it is imperative that you comprehend the entire visa application process and complete it thoroughly. Being aware of the procedure can help you get through the roughly three-week wait period for a UK student visa. This blog seeks to provide you a thorough grasp of the entire procedure and associated facets so that you can successfully submit a visa application on your first try.
Types of UK student visa
The UK government provides international students intending to study there with four main categories of study visas. The table below contains a list of them:
- Short-term study visa: This type of visa is designed for people who want to study in the UK for up to 11 months in order to attend English language courses.
- Child student visa: This type of visa is intended for kids between the ages of 4 and 17 who want to attend an independent school in the United Kingdom. Previously called the Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa. it serves students’ educational needs and makes it easier for them to enroll in appropriate schools.
- Student visa: People who are eighteen years of age or older are eligible for the current student visa, which includes the Graduate Route. It might last anywhere from two to five years, depending on the situation. Prior to that, it was known as a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa, or simply a Tier 4 Student Visa.
Overview of UK student visa
The UK student visa, formerly known as the Tier 4 (General) Student Visa, is summarized in the table below.
|GBP 363 or INR 38,000 approx
|2 years to 5 years
|Maximum of 20 hours per week
|Immigration Healthcare Surcharge
|GBP 624 per year
|Visa extension cost
Now, let’s go through each of the many components of a UK student visa in more depth so you can successfully finish the application process.
Eligibility and requirements for UK student visa
To be eligible to apply for a student visa in the UK, you must meet certain prerequisites and eligibility criteria as an international student. Which are:
- Age: The applicant must be at least 16 years old.
- Health tests: Before applying for a visa, some health-related tests, such as those for tuberculosis and maybe others, must be completed.
- Offer letter: Prior to submitting an application for a visa, the candidate must have an offer letter from a reputable college or university in the UK.
- Results of the English language proficiency test: The test must meet minimum requirements.
It is possible to obtain a study visa for the UK without having to take the IELTS exam. In some situations, you can give the immigration authorities a document from the university that accepted you.certifying that you can obtain a study visa without taking the IELTS exam. As an alternative, you might choose to take the TOEFL. which is a distinct English language exam. In certain cases, it may also be sufficient to show that your prior coursework was completed in English.
Financial evidence: In order to support oneself while visiting the UK, you must present evidence of your financial stability.
Note: Depending on where your school is located. Different amounts of money will be needed for your studies. You will require a minimum of GBP 1,334 every month for up to nine months in order to enroll in courses in London. The required minimum payment for courses outside of London is GBP 1,023 per month for the same length of time.
Documents required for UK student visa
The following paperwork is needed in order to obtain a student visa:
- A current passport.
- Acceptance for Studies Confirmation (CAS) · Police clearance certificate
- Reimbursement for the Immigration Health Surcharge of
- Documentation proving the funds
- The signed agreement from the financial sponsor (whether it’s a loan for schooling or sponsorship).
- Verification that the application and visa fees have been paid.
- Current passport-size photo
- Visa application
- Results of medical test for tuberculosis
If you are below the age of 18, additional documentation may be required, which includes:
- Evidence of parental or guardian permission.
- documentation of the relationship between parents and guardian.
- a copy of the birth certificate or other official record with the parents’ names on it.
How to apply for UK student visa?
To apply for a student visa to the UK is simple. All you have to do is adhere to the instructions listed below:
Select a visa in accordance with the duration and nature of the course in which you are enrolled.
You must get your application ready before you can start the application procedure. The required visa fee and healthcare premium must be paid while completing the online visa application. The application cannot be processed without both fees.
You will have to set up a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) letter with a distinct CAS number as part of the procedure. The university must sponsor the student’s application for a student visa in order to obtain the CAS number. which is a condition stipulated by UK immigration. This number is used to verify that the student has accepted the university’s unconditional offer.
Make sure you fill out the application form completely. You can get help by consulting the guidelines and sample for the online visa application form that have been supplied. Choose a day that works best for you to deliver your biometric data during your visa slot appointment.
Schedule an appointment at a visa application center to provide a photo and biometric data.This include your fingerprints as well. You will need to provide a tuberculosis test and documentation demonstrating your eligibility.
You should get an acceptance letter with your choice within three weeks of completing your application. The acceptance letter will look like the one that is given. You will receive a vignette sticker, which is attached to your passport, upon approval. If the term of the course you have applied for is more than six months. you will additionally need to get a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP). Remember that the vignette sticker only lasts for 30 days.
What is a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)?
After applying for more than six months, candidates are granted a Biometric Residence Permit. Verification of the applicant’s identity.Eligibility for public benefits and services, and right to work or study in the UK are all required. In the UK, a BRP can also be used to create a bank account. A BPR does not require its own application. As soon as the immigration application is accepted, it is automatically issued. Above all, it must be picked up within 10 days of arrival in the UK, or before the vignette sticker expires, whichever comes first.
- An applicant’s name, date of birth, and place of residence;
- their fingerprints and a photo;
- their immigration status and the terms of their stay;
- and if they have access to public funding for benefits and health services are all included in a BRP.
UK Point-based Visa System
Students should be informed that the UK Visa is awarded using a point system. Applicants must earn a total of 40 points and satisfy all requirements listed in the Immigration Rules in order to be granted a visa.
|Students are required to have a valid Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies from a fully licensed student sponsor, and their course must be full-time (minimum 15 hours of classroom study every week)
|Students should have enough money to cover course fees and monthly living costs (also known as maintenance or funds)
You are now well-prepared to handle the entire process because you have all the knowledge you need about the UK student visa. The visa application procedure can take a while, so it’s best to start it as soon as possible